On this page you will find all the information pertaining to piloting a drone with you thoughts: demonstrations, experiment descriptions, etc. You can find a press kit here.
What is it about?
The AR Drone 2.0 being a drone controlled by WiFi, sending commands from a nearby computer is easy. Thus, the commands produced by a Brain Computer Interface can be used to control the drone.
There are two ways of controlling the drone. The first is imagined movement, where one must imagine moving hands or feet in order to control the drone. The other in imagined concepts, where one must imagine/visualize objects and notions that correspond to drone actions.
A full control of the drone is possible: Turn left/right, strafe left/right, move forward/backwards, go up/down.
Conceptual Imagination Imagined Movement
The TechShop 2015
I made a brainy drone demonstration for TechShop in Paris on the 31 of October 2015. Photos and videos are available on my twitter account.
I held a drone demonstration at Imaginascience 2015 in Annecy between the 14th and the 15th of October 2015. You can see photographs of the event here, and a video below.
Grenoble Mini Maker Faire 2015
Persycup Robotics Cup Demonstration
I held a brainy drone demonstration in the context of the Persycup robotics cup. Photos available here.
“Remue Méninges” Festival Demonstrations
I held three demonstrations in the context of the Remue Méninges festival with the purpose of introducing children to research in the neurosciences and in human computer interaction through a practical and recreational application to piloting a drone with one’s brain. Photos here
Grenoble University Hospital / CHU de Grenoble Demonstration
Three demonstrations of the Brain controled drone from SIGCHI 2014 and UbiComp 2014 were held at Grenoble University Hospital & EVE in the context of La Semaine du Cerveau 2015 (“The week of the brain”) a French Nationwide event aimed at introducing current research related to neurosciences to the public. You may browse the full programme here: http://www.semaineducerveau.fr/2015/Villes/villes.php?ville=13.
- Monday, March 16th 2015 — Hall Vercors – Hôpital Michallon– CHU de Grenoble [See photos]
- Tuesday, March 17th 2015 — EVE – Domaine Universitaire – Saint Martin d’Hères [See photos]
- Wednesday, March 18th 2015 — Hall d’accueil of Hôpital Couple-enfat – La Tronche [See photos]
- N. Kosmyna, F. Tarpin-Bernard and B. Rivet. Drone, Your Brain, Ring Course: Accept the Challenge and Prevail! UBICOMP’14 ADJUNCT. 2014. 243-246.
I presented the first practical application of my co-learning architecture @ CHI 2014.
- N. Kosmyna, F. Tarpin-Bernard and B. Rivet. Bidirectional Feedback in Motor Imagery BCIs: Learn to Control a Drone within 5 Minutes. CHI’14 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2014. 479-482.
© Copyright 2015 Nataliya Kosmyna. All Rights Reserved.